Park Community Credit Union - Banking Education
Thwart Fraud in its Tracks
Identity thieves can:
- Run up charges on your account
- Open new accounts in your name
- Take out loans in your name
- Use your name if they are arrested
Protect yourself and your finances from identity theft. Stop it before it happens.
The fastest growing crime in America.
It is estimated that 7% of all U.S. households had at least one member of the family, 12 and over, who has been a victim of some sort of identity theft.
Please note: Park Community will never contact you to ask for your debit card or checking account number. If anyone contacts you requesting this or other personal information by phone, text, or email, please contact us immediately.
What to do if your identity has been stolen.
- Call Park Community Credit Union at 800.626.2870 for immediate assistance.
- Contact the fraud departments of any one of the three major credit bureaus to place a fraud alert on your credit file. The fraud alert requests creditors to contact you before opening any new accounts or making any changes to your existing accounts. As soon as the credit bureau confirms your fraud alert, the other two credit bureaus will be automatically notified to place fraud alerts, and all three credit reports will be sent to you at no cost.
- Credit Bureaus: Experian, Equifax and Trans Union.
- Close the accounts that you know or believe have been tampered with or opened fraudulently.
- Use the FTC’s ID Theft Affidavit when disputing new unauthorized accounts. (Adobe Acrobat)
- File a police report. Get a copy of the report to submit to your creditors and others that may require proof of the crime.
- File your complaint with the FTC. The FTC maintains a database of identity theft cases used by law enforcement agencies for investigations. Filing a complaint also helps us learn more about identity theft and the problems victims are having so that we can better assist you.
- If you believe you have been a victim of Mail Fraud, submit a mail fraud complaint form with the U.S. Postal Inspection Service.
- FTC brochure; “Take Charge: Fighting Back Against Identity Theft”.
As a Park Community Credit Union member you have unlimited access to GreenPath’s financial counselors who can offer you solutions tailored to your individual needs. GreenPath has more than 50 years of experience and can help you with a wide range of issues, including:
- Personal and Family Budgeting
- Understanding Credit Scores
- Avoiding Bankruptcy
- Foreclosure and Repossessions
- Debt Repayment
- Money Management
Free tools and resources from GreenPath.
GreenPath Certification Courses.