The holiday months can carry an increased risk of house fires and burns, due to more time indoors, more cooking, open flames and decorations, according to a report from Shriners Hospitals for Children.
An independent survey commissioned by Shriners Hospitals for Children polled US adults on their fire safety practices and found habits that could lead to serious injuries or even death.
Conducted as part of the Shriners Hospitals for Children annual Be Burn Aware campaign, survey results show:
· 25% of people surveyed leave lit candles unattended in their homes.
· 27% leave lit candles within the reach of children.
· 47% do not keep something nearby to extinguish a fire when cooking, such as a lid or cookie sheet.
· 25% do not turn pot handles to the back of the stove and out of a child’s reach.
· 45% do not water live Christmas trees daily, even though 70% were aware that they should.
To reduce the risk of injury during the season:
· Make sure you have fire extinguishers close at hand, and be sure everyone knows where they are, and how to use them. Also, check that your fire extinguishers are fully charged.
· If it burns, keep it out of reach of children and pets.
· Do a quick “safety check” before you leave the house. Blow out candles, and pull the plug on holiday lights.
· Water your tree each day. Christmas trees can arrive dried out, and they really soak up the water.
In short, have a happy and safe holiday season.